Virtual Pruning 101
Fri Sep 11 | 12pm-1pm | Virtual
Virtual Pruning 101 on-demand class is now available!
This is a pre-recorded class.
You'll learn the basics of how trees grow and respond to pruning and how to make good cuts. This class will prepare you to prune with Trees Atlanta at future projects. The next steps after taking Virtual Pruning 101 will be to come to a Trees Atlanta volunteer pruning project (once we are all able to safely resume street tree pruning in groups).
This class will include a short presentation to review key information from your assigned pre-work videos and a pruning demonstration.
Follow these steps to ensure the best experience:
- Complete the registration for this event. Once completed, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive it, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Watch Dr. Gilman's videos listed below.
- Create a Volunteer profile if you do not have one yet. Visit https://www.treesatlanta.org/register-to-volunteer-with-us/ to complete the form.
- On the day of the event, you will receive an email with the link to the class recording. You can watch it at any time and rewatch if you would like.
- Email Susan Pierce Cunningham at email@example.com if you have any questions related to the content of the video.
- The day after the event you will receive an email with a short quiz. Once you watch Dr. Gilmand and Susan's video, please complete and submit the quiz in order to get marked as Certified Pruner, be able to prune with us, and to sign up for Pruning 102 and 103.
- Stay in touch with us to learn more about future volunteer opportunities.
Instructional videos you must watch before watching the webinar (takes approximately 1 hour total)
Please watch the following instructional videos from Dr. Ed Gilman, Professor Emeritus, Environmental Horticulture Department, University of Florida. If you'd like to learn even more, feel free to watch his other videos in his Arboriculture Video Series.
- Tree mechanics and structure video
- Part 1: Definitions (9 mins)
*This class is not eligible for volunteer hours for community service credit*
We recommend ages 16 and up for pruning projects.
Questions? Contact Susan Pierce Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org