Speaker Series: Kathryn Kolb with Dynamic Symmetry, Apr 17
The exhibit opens at 5:00pm, with artist’s talk from 7-8pm. New works and old favorites from Kathryn’s series of flora, landscapes, and landscape details illustrate how artistic design and the design found in healthy environments are based on the same physical architecture – Dynamic Symmetry.
Many of Kathryn’s images, taken in Atlanta, Georgia and the Southeast, seem more akin to painting than photography, and her 45-min presentation includes how the geometry of aesthetic design, especially in photography, intersects with the design of trees, plants and landscapes–-the fascinating point where art, math and science become one.
Kathryn’s distinctive photographs of flora, landscapes and landscape details are based on several layers of design, from the natural forms of trees and plants to the camera formats she uses. Her result is an organic, aesthetic blend of forms that also convey an essence of the energies of life in the natural world.
- April 17, 2014 exhibit opens at 5:00 pm, artist’s talk from 7:00-8:00 pm
- Trees Atlanta Kendeda Center (225 Chester Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30316)
- Parking available on-site or neighboring street parking
- 6:30pm – Light refreshments including beer & wine served
- 7:00pm – Presentation begins
- Seats are limited & reservations are first come first served
After opening night, the exhibit will be open April 18 – May 15, Mon – Fri, 9:30am – 4:30pm and open 9:30 to 7:30 on Thursdays-April 24, May 1, May 8 and May 15. Find more information about Kathryn and her photography see: KathrynKolb.com
Attend Fine Art of Nature Walks
Kathryn is Master Naturalist as well as photographer, and as part of show events, she will lead three fine art of nature walks with a special focus on the art we can find in the trees, flora & landscape in Atlanta Parks and Greenspace.
- Cascade Springs Nature Preserve – Saturday May 10th – 9 -11:30am
- Hampton Beecher Nature Preserve- Sunday May 11th 1:30-4:00pm (wheelchair accessible)
- Morningside Nature Preserve – Saturday May 31st 9 -11:30am
The Dynamic Symmetry photography exhibit, artist talk and Fine Art of Nature Walks are made possible in part by the Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs.