One Million Trees Initiative
A Collaboration Across Metro Atlanta
The One Million Trees Initiative is an exciting collaboration of metro Atlanta cities, regional nonprofit organizations, and Trees Atlanta. Combining our efforts, together we will plant and conserve one million trees across metro Atlanta by 2030.
The partnership recognizes that environmental issues are not limited to city boundaries and cross over into all areas of sustainability concerns. We are joined in a common fight to address local climate effects and environmental stresses from urban growth. We can improve our cities’ sustainability and better protect the health and well-being of people across metro Atlanta by planting and conserving more trees where we live – in urban areas.
The initiative was launched on Georgia Arbor Day at Trees Atlanta’s 2020 Canopy Conference. The focus of the presentations and discussions centered on the theme “Fighting Climate Change with Urban Forests” and offered local solutions to mitigate a global condition.
The count to one million includes trees planted in public spaces, for public projects, and on private land (such as yards of homes, businesses, and other commercial land) in partner cities. Trees preserved in forested areas that are newly protected by conservation deed for permanent protection as of 2020 through 2030 will be counted.
Photo by Curbed Atlanta
How can you help us reach one million trees?
- Organize community projects
- Encourage planting projects in city-owned properties like parks and greenways
- Support public project plantings like those at affordable housing, municipal sites, and schools
- Emphasize private projects like planting in yards, businesses, and parking lots
- Identify and purchase forests for preservation
- Support allocation of public funds for the purchase of forests
- Place private land into conservation easements
- Get involved by personally planting, protecting, and caring for trees
- Volunteer in the community to plant and care for trees
Atlanta City Council
Interested in becoming a partner in the One Million Trees Initiative or have questions?
Please send questions and inquiries to Judy Yi, Director of Marketing & Outreach, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 404-609-3373.
The One Million Trees Initiative partners across metro Atlanta are: