Front Yard Tree Program
The Yard Tree Program is made possible by partnering with metro Atlanta municipalities. Annual agreements with specific quantities allow us to bring this popular program to cities and county jurisdictions.
Property owners in these municipalities are eligible to have us plant trees in your yard at little or no cost to you: Atlanta, Brookhaven, Chamblee, Decatur, and Sandy Springs, as well as Unincorporated DeKalb County.
Canopy trees can lower summer temperatures, reduce energy consumption, and add to the beauty and character of your neighborhood. The program’s intent is to increase the accessibility to the benefits of trees in more neighborhoods throughout metro Atlanta. To have a canopy tree planted in your yard, please submit an application.
To participate, please:
- Review the program guidelines below
- Click on your city to learn about the trees available to you (options vary by program):
Atlanta Decatur * Brookhaven * Sandy Springs Chamblee * Unincorporated DeKalb County *
- Fill out the “Submit Request” form for your city.
- * Certain city’s require a small APPLICATION FEE, including these cities. After you have submitted your request (above), please complete your request using the appropriate link here:
Brookhaven Decatur Chamblee Unincorporated DeKalb County
(Not required for Sandy Springs or Atlanta residents.)
NOTE: If you submitted a request last season but never made it to the planting phase, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please include your name, address, and phone number, and we will reconnect with you to move your request forward.
After submitting a request, one of our NeighborWoods project coordinators will contact you for a consultation.
- Must be a resident of a participating city listed above.
- The number of trees per home is limited by program: 1 tree in Brookhaven, Chamblee and Decatur; and up to 3 trees in Atlanta or Sandy Springs.
- Trees must be planted in your front yard. Limited funding is available for side and back yard trees for residents of the City of Atlanta.
- Front yard trees must be planted within 35 feet of right of way (within 20 feet of right of way for City of Atlanta residents). Ask your Trees Atlanta contact for clarification.
- Shade trees cannot be planted to meet city recompense requirements.
- Trees will be planted between October and March.
- You agree to maintain any trees planted in your yard.
How to care for your new tree
Download this handy, easy-to-follow tipsheet for caring for your new tree.