Summer Camp 2022 Friends, Fun, and Fantastic Outdoors
Enjoying every day of summer break means enjoying the outdoors and building stronger connections with new friends, fun activities, and the wonders of our urban forest! Kids had a great time and creating core memories that we hope will inspire life-long environmental stewardship.
Over eight weeks, 300 campers, 60 Junior Interns, and a bunch of tired (but happy) staff explored our urban forest on bikes and by foot, as well as at the Kendeda Center and on offsite field trips that took them to some of Atlanta’s greatest natural destinations. Campers made lots of new friends and made plenty of great memories while embracing stewardship of our natural community. We did a lot, including:
- Explored Arabia Mountain, Sweetwater Creek State Park, Dunwoody Nature Center, Atlanta Botanical Garden, and Fernbank Museum
- Used binoculars on an urban bird walk with Georgia Audubon
- Chilled outdoors with a nature yoga session with a local yoga teacher at the Historic Fourth Ward Skate Park
- Collected temperature data and measured the difference tree canopy makes in an Urban Heat Island experiment
- Touched a snake from the Wildlife Resources Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources
- Biked a thousand miles… okay, maybe not a thousand, but a lot!
- Countless games, activities, and nature crafts that were a mix of animated and relaxing and all fun to do
2022 was our ninth year of Summer Camp at 225 Chester Avenue, it’s a bit bittersweet that it’s our last summer here. Next year, we’ll see you at our new Headquarters on Warner Street SW! Campers will get to explore new parts of the Arboretum on the Westside Trail!
Meanwhile, we will have School Break Camps in the Fall at Chester Avenue before our move at the end of the year. Be sure to sign up to receive our monthly email newsletters to stay in the loop, or head to our Camp program page for more information.
Photographs above are courtesy of Trees Atlanta staff and Row 2 biking on the BeltLine photos by Audrey Pruitt.
Update: Thank you to Atlanta Now New reporter Deidre Johnson and CW46, Atlanta’s local CBS news, for this great coverage of Summer Camp 2022! (7/30/22)
Posted on: July 20, 2022 (updated)