Nature Badge Program for Girl Scouts & Cub Scouts
Trees Atlanta leads programs to help your Scouts earn their nature-focused badges. Each program varies from 1.5 hours to 4 hours long. In-person Nature Badge Programs are hosted at our Kendeda Center office. From the Kendeda Center, troops have direct access to the Atlanta BeltLine Eastside Trail Extension—a perfect venue for outdoor learning! Virtual (online) programs are also available.
Girl Scout Programs
- Cadette – Trees Badge (6th – 8th grade): Cadettes can visit the Trees Atlanta Kendeda Center and complete many of the Tree Badge requirements. They will identify trees in the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum, learn about tree parts, create a tree craft, and discuss our urban forest. Cadettes will need to sign up for a tree planting with Trees Atlanta to complete the final requirement needed to earn the Trees Badge!
- Junior – Flowers Badge (4th – 5th grade): Juniors can visit the Trees Atlanta Kendeda Center to uncover the science of flowers through hands-on activities in the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum. They will discover the different parts of the flower and learn how they add value to the forest.
- Brownie – Bugs Badge (2nd – 3rd grade): Brownies can visit the Trees Atlanta Kendeda Center and embark on a bug searching journey in the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum. After studying the tiny insects in action, Brownies will learn about their different parts and practice drawing bugs.
- Daisy – Outdoor Art Making (K – 1st grade): Daisies can visit the Trees Atlanta Kendeda Center and take a stroll through the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum to learn about the trees that make up the urban forest we live in. Using pieces of nature they collect and their newly acquired tree knowledge, Daisies will create some outdoor art!
Cub Scout Programs
- Webelos – Into the Woods Badge (4th – 5th grade): Cub Scouts can visit the Trees Atlanta Kendeda Center and complete many of the requirements to earn this Webelos Badge. Scouts will visit the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum to identify different trees and plants, see the inside of a tree to learn about the growth rings, and discuss everyday items made from wood. Scouts will need to sign up for a tree planting with Trees Atlanta to complete their requirement to earn their “Into the Woods” Badge!
- Bear Cubs – Fur, Feathers, and Ferns Badge (3rd grade): Bear Cubs can visit the Trees Atlanta Kendeda Center and explore the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum, looking for signs of wildlife interacting with trees and other plants. Scouts will take a closer look at the urban forest through the eyes of the animals that live here and discuss the impact humans have on the environment.
- Wolf/Tiger Cubs – Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum Adventure (1st – 2nd grade): Wolf and Tiger Cubs can visit the Trees Atlanta Kendeda Center and walk through the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum to identify the different trees growing in the city. Scouts will discuss what plants and trees grow best in our region of Georgia. They will also create their own self-watering planter and plant a seed to take home with them!
- Daisy, Brownie, Junior, Wolf, Tiger, Bear, and Webelos Scouts programs run 1.5 hours. The flat rate is $150 for up to 10 scouts.
- Cadette Trees Badge program is more in depth and runs approximately 4 hours. The flat rate is $250 for up to 10 scouts.
- For groups over 10 scouts, an additional fee of $10 per scout will be added up to 19 scouts.
- For groups of 20 or more scouts, an additional fee of $150 will be applied.
Trees Atlanta offers in-person programs, as well as virtual Nature Badge Programs. Those interested in a Zoom-based virtual option should indicate this preference in the “Additional Comments” section of the program request form.
Tree Planting Requirement
Following the program, scouts and parents can sign up for a tree maintenance or planting project to complete the requirements to earn their badge, if needed. If you are not able to make it to a Saturday Planting Project, feel free to plant a tree on your own in your yard and send us a photo!
Payment, Cancellation, and Rescheduling Policies
Payment for a program is required at least 10 business days prior to your program date. You will need to confirm your total number of participants at this time. Should the number increase and you need an additional educator, please contact us immediately so we can work on your request.
Programs canceled 6 or more business days prior to the program, will receive a full refund minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Programs canceled 5 or fewer business days prior to the program will not receive a refund.
Safety Protocol During Covid-19: Please click to review our policy here.
To inquire about our youth education programs, email: firstname.lastname@example.org