Youth Tree Team
Summer 2022 Youth Tree Team is Under Way!
The summer YTT class of 2022 is our largest team yet with 50 students, plus team leads and staff!
Applications for the next class of 2023 will open in late 2022. Come back and get started early for your chance to be a part of this exciting and valuable experience!
2022 application process information. 2023 schedule will be similar, but subject to change.
- Application Opens: 11/15/22
- Application Closes: 2/21/22
- Application Events: Challenge Day – 2/26/22, Volunteer Planting – 3/5/22, Interviews and participant selection 3/7/22 – 4/8/22 (all events are mandatory)
- On-the-Job Program Dates: 6/6/22 – 7/22/22
- Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM (schedule subject to change)
- Pay Rate: $10.00/hour (starting)
Read a first-person perspective of the experience from Frankie Deck, a Youth Tree Team graduate and current Trees Atlanta Volunteer Program Intern.
Read about our 2021 cohort: Inspiring Future Green Job Candidates – Youth Tree Team 2021
Help us maintain the City in the Forest!
The Youth Tree Team (YTT) is a summer employment and learning opportunity that gives high school students exposure to community forestry, landscape design, horticulture, and arboriculture.
It is an opportunity to work outdoors and help fight climate change through the active development and protection of the tree canopy. The Youth Tree Team participates in weeding, mulching, pruning, and planting projects along the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum and in neighborhoods.
Included in the program are leadership and team-building activities, job skills training, personal financial literacy workshops, and networking opportunities with green collar professionals.
- Youth Tree Team Member: Any high school student who is interested in learning about environmental stewardship and caring for urban greenspaces. YTT Member applicants must be currently enrolled in high school or be matriculating into high school as of June 1st and be at least 14 years of age to be eligible.
- Youth Tree Team Leader In Training: Any upperclassman (current rising juniors through May graduates) who would like to take on a more senior role in YTT and are also interested in learning about environmental stewardship and caring for urban greenspaces. This position includes a mandatory additional day of training on June 3, 2022.
- Youth Tree Team Senior Lead: Any individual over the age of 21 who is interested in a leading as a supervisor and mentor for Youth Tree Team.
This is a highly competitive program. For full consideration, applicants must complete all steps. Not all applicants will be offered a position on the Youth Tree Team.
- Step 1: Apply before the Deadline – Monday, 2/21/22
- Step 2: Attend Challenge Day – Saturday, 2/26/22
- Step 3: Volunteer at a Tree Planting – Saturday, 3/5/22
- Step 4: Complete an In-Person Interview – will be scheduled between 3/14/22 – 4/8/22
Workforce Development and Engagement Supervisor
Youth Tree Team Partners
The following organizations have generously provided financial or program support for this education program in current or past years:
- Atlanta BeltLine
- Atlanta History Center
- Bank of America
- Bartlett Tree Experts
- Children & Nature Network
- City of Atlanta
- Community Sustainability Enterprise
- Delta Community Credit Union
- Department of Parks & Recreation, City of Atlanta
- Department of Watershed Management, City of Atlanta
- Fifth Third Bank
- Florida Forestry Service
- Fulton County Community Services Program
- Georgia Forestry Commission
- Georgia Forestry Foundation
- Georgia Gwinnett College
- Georgia Power Foundation
- Georgia Tech
- Georgia Technical College
- John & Golda Cohen Trust
- Kaiser Permanente
- Mercedes Benz
- Norfolk Southern
- The Home Depot Foundation
- Warnell School of Forestry (UGA)
This program is partially funded with support from the Fulton County Board of Commissioners under the guidance of the Department of Community Development CSP Program.